Monday, March 23, 2020

Why I took a break from Social Media and probably never to be back.







Why I took a break from social media and probably never to be back.


I was once an ardent fan of Social media. When I say social media I mean the 2 giants Facebook and Instagram. I wouldn't let a day pass talaga without browsing my feed for hours and repeat. Kumbaga, naging parte na talaga ng buhay ko ang galawang ganito.

When I started sharing my travel blogs in Facebook sometime in 2018, mas lalo akong naging super active sa social media. Mayat maya talaga hindi pwedeng hindi ako nakakapag upload ng kung ano anong ganap ko sa buhay.  Kumabaga, I really felt the need to share it publicly and let people share my post because for me I really wanted to. Alam mo yung feeling ko ang famous famous ko char! and dont get me wrong, I don't mean to gain popularity over this platform naman it's just that I wanted to promote those places that I've been to. Kumbaga, sharing my travel experiences make me feel better. Gets?

Anyhoo- One day isang araw, habang nakahiga ako sa malambot kong bed, I've realized a couple of things na matagal ko na sanang narealized. I have my reasons kung bakit I just don't feel like using social media moving forward and these are just my takeaways at wala kang pake.


LIKES AND COMMENTS-  I actually began to see that social media was literally just an attention grab. It was overall pointless and contrary to mental health development. People place so much stock on likes and comments. It's like people judge others based on who has more attention on social media,  Our lives don't revolve in metrics dapat diba. Para kasing ganito ung naiisip ko and this is just me, Lets say two people went on for an interview for a job and the question is "Why should we hire you? The other guy na merong pinag aralan and has much more experience versus the unqualified yet social media popular candidate would say " because I have more likes on Facebook and IG. That guy gets like 10 max, I get like 350 likes. easy, he's a loser. This is a scenario that represents how silly it is. Your worth is not measured in likes, comments. That temporary ego boost attained by likes and comments will all break down and it doesn't lead to self satisfaction. People would just simply scroll their feed and like your post and move on. People don't really care about you. My dear friend, get up and take charge of your life. You don't need a social validation from the virtual world out there. Go out and meet people.

FOLLOWERS-  Firstly, you need to make yourself understand that whatever you are doing nobody cares. Nobody give a sh*t about the likes you get or the followers you have so stop acting like what you are going through is so important, because it is really not. I don't care if you went to Paris and visited Eiffel Tower, I don't care if you're getting married, I don't care what you think of COVID19, I don't care what food you just ate, I don't care about your fake news and I don't certainly don't want to see my timeline be filled with your useless thoughts. It sounds arrogant but I really couldn't give a flying f*ck. There are over 7 billion people on Earth and most of them aren't even aware that you exist. So calm your betlog and just do you. And I am not so convinced that a half a million followers or even mere 10,000 likes translate into more revenue. I could be wrong but I'm at peace.

COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS- Its not just that time is wasted when you use social media but sometimes Facebook and Instagram create social influence where you notice that "subconsciously" you try to keep up with each other.  Bery wrong ang ganito talaga pero aminin mo you often do this when you see a post from your friends na kailangan kabugin mo sya for whatever purpose that may serve your ego. This is legit na kayagitan so please change it. You are so plugged into other people's lives that you were forgetting to live your own.


So what are the benefits to me leaving Facebook and IG for more than a month now? Well.


1. My privacy is just suberp. No person EVER can find me where I am unless gusto kong ipaalam sa kanya.
2. I enjoy the moment or place or occasion rather than clicking a pic or checking in just to tell the whole world.
3. The friends I have that matter call me and I call them. We spend time together. The friends I haven't seen in years had no impact on my current life, so lack of seeing their selfies in my feed has no impact either. Those friendships are over and my memory works just fine. Naiisip ko din naman ang iba sa kanila and I hope the best for them without needing to know what is really going on.
4. I have more time for myself. I didn't see how time consuming Facebook and other social media was until I took myself off it all.
5. I've discovered who my real friends are.
6. My life became simple. No drama whatsover.
7. I've discovered new hobby! Ngayon ko lang narealize na magaling ako sa kama. Pwera biro.
8. I've realized na mas hot ako in person kaysa sa mga selfies ko. No joke.
9. I'm happy being alone. There is a fine line between being alone and being lonely so know the difference please.
10. Now feeling a sense of freedom not being a prisoner to social media.
and the list goes on!


You won't believe quitting social media had magical effects on me (geste me yeng magical?) and this isn't some kinda exaggeration. These constant notifications and likes may give you happiness but its vague and illusionary. You are much more than that. I feel at some point in our lives we need detachment from these fake validations so that we can find ourselves and I thank yew!


I am still on messenger though.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bonifacio Global City